Mar 15, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
After a disappointing performance during practice for the Australian Grand Prix, Williams drivers Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas have admitted that they have a lot of work to do ahead of the opening race of the 2013 season.
“We have a lot of work to do before tomorrow,” said Maldonado. “We have another practice session to focus on the set-up needed for qualifying and we’ll be analyzing all today’s data this evening.”
Neither driver excelled in practice, and FP2 saw Valtteri Bottas finish just three-tenths ahead of Marussia’s Jules Bianchi, which has caused many to question Williams’ pace for the new season. However, like Maldonado, Bottas was hopeful of improving his fortunes during the final practice session on Saturday.
“We will analyse all the data tonight and keep working on the car in FP3 to get everything ready for qualifying.
“It felt good to be back on track today. It’s a new circuit for me so it took a few laps in the first practice to get to know it a little better. The track improved a lot going into the second session with much more grip, so I felt like the car could still improve further.”
Technical director Mike Coughlan revealed that the team has reverted back to the aerodynamic package used to launch the car, suggesting that Williams have struggled with the new upgrades.
“We’ll be running our FW35 launch aero package for the remainder of the weekend as it has proven better around the Albert Park circuit and in the conditions we have here.”
Williams had a good season in 2012, winning a race for the first time in over seven years at the Spanish Grand Prix. Much of their good form was rooted in the opening race where Maldonado and ex-teammate Bruno Senna both impressed, and the team will hope to repeat this pace on Sunday despite their practice woes.
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP
- CFT: Three Navy football players to be charged with rape
- Play Video: Hunter-Reay celebrates win in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Highlights: Hunter-Reay wins Milwaukee Mile again
- Play Video: Andretti Autosports dominates
- Play Video: Andretti makes it look easy in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Indy Car Series: Fast forward Texas
- Play Video: A recap of Pagenaud's first career IndyCar victory