Mar 16, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
Esteban Gutierrez has admitted that his crash at the end of the first qualifying session was due to driver error.
“Unfortunately I made a mistake and feel sorry for the whole team. I need to avoid this kind of mistake and try to make the most of my potential.”
However, the Mexican rookie did appear to be in the right frame of mind as he looked to take the positives out of the rain-hit session.
“I feel very comfortable with the car and this is something that is a step forward for me.”
Following a thirty minute delay, qualifying got underway on a wet track, and Gutierrez wasn’t the only driver to be caught out in the conditions. His collision with the wall brought out yellow flags towards the end the session, preventing many drivers from bettering their times, and it also stopped Gutierrez from escaping the Q1 drop zone. He will start the race in 18th place on Sunday.
Qualifying was eventually postponed after the rain grew heavier, and the drivers will return to the track at 11am local time on Sunday to complete Q2 and Q3. You can find full details of NBC’s coverage for the session here.
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 3
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4