Mar 16, 2013, 5:30 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton supports the stewards’ decision to postpone qualifying until Sunday morning following the adverse weather conditions in Melbourne.
Rain began to fall during final practice at Albert Park, and the wet weather persisted until qualifying. Q1 was delayed by half an hour until the stewards gave it the go-ahead, and the conditions proved difficult for the drivers.
Hamilton struggled for grip on his out lap, and a few minutes later he spun at turn one forcing him to reverse his car back on to the track. Although he did manage to get into Q2, the 2008 world champion found the conditions difficult.
“It was definitely the right decision,” he told Sky Sports News. “It was dangerous out there.
The decision was taken by the stewards to run Q2 and Q3 on Sunday morning.
In a separate interview, Hamilton said “it’s incredibly tricky, probably one of the slipperiest circuits that I’ve raced on in the rain, simply because there’s a lot of white lines everywhere that are painted black. So as soon as you hit those the car slides and aquaplanes and oversteers so that’s why you saw so many people going off.”
He also suggested that Mercedes was struggling for pace despite Nico Rosberg finishing quickest in the wet first qualifying session.
“It’s not been a great weekend for us so far, but hopefully we can turn it around tomorrow.”
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 0
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)