Mar 16, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
Felipe Massa, Mark Webber, Paul di Resta, Sergio Perez, Esteban Gutierrez, Pastor Maldonado and both Caterham drivers (Charles Pic, Giedo van der Garde) all had incidents during the wet first qualifying session for this year’s Australian Grand Prix.
Gutierrez had the biggest off and failed to make the cut in Q1. He will start 18th.
“Unfortunately I made a mistake and feel sorry for the whole team,” said Gutierrez. “I feel very comfortable with the car and this is something that is a step forward for me. Now, of course, I need to avoid this kind of mistake and try to make the most of my potential.”
Pic explained his travails for Caterham once he switched to intermediate tires.
“We made the call to switch to inters with about five minutes left of the session and for the first lap it was very tricky,” Pic said. “There was a lot of standing water and it was hard to keep the car on track, but it improved pretty quickly and I was starting to push before I touched the white line which caused me to spin and I made contact with the barrier which meant I had to pit.”
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 2
- Sebastian Saavedra leads at halfway in IndyCar season finale (VIDEO) 0
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 0
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2