Mar 16, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
Felipe Massa, Mark Webber, Paul di Resta, Sergio Perez, Esteban Gutierrez, Pastor Maldonado and both Caterham drivers (Charles Pic, Giedo van der Garde) all had incidents during the wet first qualifying session for this year’s Australian Grand Prix.
Gutierrez had the biggest off and failed to make the cut in Q1. He will start 18th.
“Unfortunately I made a mistake and feel sorry for the whole team,” said Gutierrez. “I feel very comfortable with the car and this is something that is a step forward for me. Now, of course, I need to avoid this kind of mistake and try to make the most of my potential.”
Pic explained his travails for Caterham once he switched to intermediate tires.
“We made the call to switch to inters with about five minutes left of the session and for the first lap it was very tricky,” Pic said. “There was a lot of standing water and it was hard to keep the car on track, but it improved pretty quickly and I was starting to push before I touched the white line which caused me to spin and I made contact with the barrier which meant I had to pit.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick set to swap crews at Stewart-Haas 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 1
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2