Mar 16, 2013, 10:53 AM EST
Felipe Massa, Mark Webber, Paul di Resta, Sergio Perez, Esteban Gutierrez, Pastor Maldonado and both Caterham drivers (Charles Pic, Giedo van der Garde) all had incidents during the wet first qualifying session for this year’s Australian Grand Prix.
Gutierrez had the biggest off and failed to make the cut in Q1. He will start 18th.
“Unfortunately I made a mistake and feel sorry for the whole team,” said Gutierrez. “I feel very comfortable with the car and this is something that is a step forward for me. Now, of course, I need to avoid this kind of mistake and try to make the most of my potential.”
Pic explained his travails for Caterham once he switched to intermediate tires.
“We made the call to switch to inters with about five minutes left of the session and for the first lap it was very tricky,” Pic said. “There was a lot of standing water and it was hard to keep the car on track, but it improved pretty quickly and I was starting to push before I touched the white line which caused me to spin and I made contact with the barrier which meant I had to pit.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 1
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 3
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0