Mar 17, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Following a disappointing ninth-place result at Australian Grand Prix, Jenson Button has admitted that McLaren are facing an uphill struggle to perform this season.
“We definitely were not getting any more points than that. We definitely weren’t quick and I think we made the right calls considering what condition we had the tires in after qualifying.
Despite McLaren’s only scoring two points in Australia, Button praised the team for their efforts across a difficult weekend.
“We got it home and got a couple of points, so that’s not bad. I think as a team we did a great job this weekend but we’re not quick enough and there’s a lot of work we need to do to move forward and challenge the front guys.”
With Sergio Perez finishing a disappointing 11th on debut for McLaren, the team will be keen on resolving the issues with the MP4-28 as soon as possible, but Button refused to give a deadline for McLaren to return to form by.
“I don’t know. Who knows? We’re not what we think we are so it could take quite a while.
“If we can get into the points again with the car that we had at the moment I don’t think it’s too bad. We had races last year with a good car that we struggled to get into the points, so we will see what we can do.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 0
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 1
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 0
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2