Mar 17, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
Following a disappointing ninth-place result at Australian Grand Prix, Jenson Button has admitted that McLaren are facing an uphill struggle to perform this season.
“We definitely were not getting any more points than that. We definitely weren’t quick and I think we made the right calls considering what condition we had the tires in after qualifying.
Despite McLaren’s only scoring two points in Australia, Button praised the team for their efforts across a difficult weekend.
“We got it home and got a couple of points, so that’s not bad. I think as a team we did a great job this weekend but we’re not quick enough and there’s a lot of work we need to do to move forward and challenge the front guys.”
With Sergio Perez finishing a disappointing 11th on debut for McLaren, the team will be keen on resolving the issues with the MP4-28 as soon as possible, but Button refused to give a deadline for McLaren to return to form by.
“I don’t know. Who knows? We’re not what we think we are so it could take quite a while.
“If we can get into the points again with the car that we had at the moment I don’t think it’s too bad. We had races last year with a good car that we struggled to get into the points, so we will see what we can do.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 0
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 4
- Sauber aims to beat the blues of 2014 with C34’s launch 2