Mar 17, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
He may have missed out on the race win, but Fernando Alonso was still delighted with his performance in the Australian Grand Prix, finishing in second place.
“It was a fantastic race for us, fighting all through the race.
“I was sad not to be able to win the race, but Kimi was fantastic and we need to congratulate them for a fantastic race.”
Alonso started the race in fifth, but he moved up to third off the start before taking the lead following the second round of stops. However, he gave up this lead to Kimi Raikkonen when he stopped for a third time, and the gap was too great for Alonso to recover.
The result marks Alonso’s best start to a season in three years, and with Felipe Massa finishing fourth, Ferrari appear to be in the running for both championships this season.
“We had a difficult start of season two years ago and last year, too, and this year is very different,” said Alonso.
“We feel much more comfortable, the car is responding well and we have a good season ahead of us.”
Ferrari lead the constructors’ championship by four points following their strong double-score, and they will be hoping to extend this lead at the Malaysian Grand Prix in seven days’ time.
- Ricciardo aware of Vergne challenge for Red Bull seat (4)
- Report: IndyCar Series may return to Road America in 2014 (4)
- Social media a boon to F1, NASCAR — but IndyCar lags (4)
- Ecclestone: Mercedes should have declined, and Michelin’s not returning (3)
- Lotus concerned by tire choices for Britain, Hungary (3)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Hunter-Reay celebrates win in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Highlights: Hunter-Reay wins Milwaukee Mile again
- Play Video: Andretti Autosports dominates
- Play Video: Andretti makes it look easy in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Indy Car Series: Fast forward Texas
- Play Video: A recap of Pagenaud's first career IndyCar victory