Mar 17, 2013, 4:26 AM EDT
Esteban Gutierrez’s Formula One debut at the Australian Grand Prix has seen him finish ahead of his fellow rookies.
Along with Valtteri Bottas, Jules Bianchi, Max Chilton and Giedo van der Garde, the race in Melbourne was Gutierrez’s first full Grand Prix experience, and he managed to finish a respectable 13th on debut for Sauber having made a two-stop strategy work to finish 7.4 seconds ahead of Bottas.
Williams had struggled all weekend with their car, and Pastor Maldonado called it “undriveable” after he was eliminated in Saturday’s Q1 session. Bottas managed to race strongly though, and the flying Finn will be keen on matching his compatriot Kimi Raikkonen at some point this season.
It was another rookie, Jules Bianchi, who finished behind Bottas, and he was elated with the result. Bianchi finished one lap ahead of Caterham’s Charles Pic, underlining the pace of the Marussia MR-02. His teammate, Max Chilton, was embroiled in a race-long battle with Giedo van der Garde, and the Briton eventually got the better of the Caterham driver to finish almost half a minute up the road.
Although none of the drivers managed to score any points, the majority of the rookies will be pleased with their debut outings. For Bottas, he will be happy to have outraced his teammate before Maldonado retired, and Bianchi’s impressive form could be a sign of things to come at Marussia. Gutierrez will be happy to have finished strongly in his first race, but with Nico Hulkenberg failing to start, it will be hard to tell just where Sauber stand until the Malaysian GP next weekend.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 0
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0