Mar 17, 2013, 4:26 AM EDT
Esteban Gutierrez’s Formula One debut at the Australian Grand Prix has seen him finish ahead of his fellow rookies.
Along with Valtteri Bottas, Jules Bianchi, Max Chilton and Giedo van der Garde, the race in Melbourne was Gutierrez’s first full Grand Prix experience, and he managed to finish a respectable 13th on debut for Sauber having made a two-stop strategy work to finish 7.4 seconds ahead of Bottas.
Williams had struggled all weekend with their car, and Pastor Maldonado called it “undriveable” after he was eliminated in Saturday’s Q1 session. Bottas managed to race strongly though, and the flying Finn will be keen on matching his compatriot Kimi Raikkonen at some point this season.
It was another rookie, Jules Bianchi, who finished behind Bottas, and he was elated with the result. Bianchi finished one lap ahead of Caterham’s Charles Pic, underlining the pace of the Marussia MR-02. His teammate, Max Chilton, was embroiled in a race-long battle with Giedo van der Garde, and the Briton eventually got the better of the Caterham driver to finish almost half a minute up the road.
Although none of the drivers managed to score any points, the majority of the rookies will be pleased with their debut outings. For Bottas, he will be happy to have outraced his teammate before Maldonado retired, and Bianchi’s impressive form could be a sign of things to come at Marussia. Gutierrez will be happy to have finished strongly in his first race, but with Nico Hulkenberg failing to start, it will be hard to tell just where Sauber stand until the Malaysian GP next weekend.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Video from NASCAR America
- Kyle Busch roars back to win Truck race at Texas; Matt Crafton gets closer to clinching championship 0
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 1
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0