Mar 17, 2013, 5:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has expressed his delight after he finished the Australian Grand Prix in 5th place on debut for Mercedes. However, the Briton admitted that the team still has a lot of work to do ahead of next week’s Malaysian GP.
“Malaysia is going to be tough but hopefully we can have a better result.
“It’s going to be tough with the tires but I had a longer stint than anyone else, but I just don’t know where we lost ground.”
Although he was pleased with his own pace, Hamilton was left scratching his head for reasons why his rivals managed to pass him so easily.
“I don’t really understand why other people were pulling away. We’re going to have back and take a look at why we were losing pace to other people.”
Hamilton was passed on track by Fernando Alonso, Sebastian Vettel and Felipe Massa as he lost all chances of making the podium mid-way through the race.
For much of the pre-season, Hamilton insisted that Mercedes were not in a position to win in Melbourne, and he was pleased to have finished as high as fifth.
“I think it’s great, I’m very happy, it’s way better than we ever expected in the first race of the season. It’s a great place to start.”
Hamilton scored Mercedes’ only points in Australia after Nico Rosberg retired on lap 26 following an electrical failure.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 87
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1