Mar 17, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
Kahne and Keselowski had been fighting for the point and actually swapped it in the midst of lapped traffic before Jimmie Johnson hit the wall at Lap 448 to bring out the caution. Then on the subsequent restart, Keselowski spun his tires, allowing Kahne to jump ahead for good.
Polesitter Kyle Busch also got around Keselowski and finished second for a nice follow-up after winning the Nationwide race at BMS yesterday. Keselowski settled for third, followed by Kurt Busch and Clint Bowyer.
The race changed on Lap 391, when Jeff Gordon was leading Matt Kenseth. While in Turn 3, Gordon’s car suddenly snapped right and hit the wall. Kenseth was on the high line and was unable to avoid Gordon, crashing into him and ending both their days.
During the subsequent caution, Keselowski (along with Paul Menard and Ricky Stenhouse) stayed out for track position. But Kahne, who won the race off pit road and started fourth on the restart, quickly made his way toward the reigning Cup champion to battle him for the lead.
Kahne briefly took the lead at Lap 446, but got boxed in by the lapped car of Terry Labonte, which allowed Keselowski got back in front at Lap 448. Six laps later, Johnson crashed to set up what would be the most pivotal restart of the day for Kahne.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series – Food City 500
Top 10 Finishers
1. Kasey Kahne, Chevrolet
2. Kyle Busch, Toyota
3. Brad Keselowski, Ford
4. Kurt Busch, Chevrolet
5. Clint Bowyer, Toyota
6. Dale Earnhardt Jr., Chevrolet
7. Ryan Newman, Chevrolet
8. Brian Vickers, Toyota
9. Paul Menard, Chevrolet
10. Jamie McMurray, Chevrolet
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA with Matt Kenseth and Steve Letarte at 5 p.m. ET 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 3
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 3
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25