Mar 17, 2013, 4:45 AM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen is nicknamed ‘the Iceman’ for his cool persona and ability to excel under pressure, and his win at the Australian Grand Prix has only extended these credentials after he said the race was “not too difficult.”
On the podium, Raikkonen said “it was a pretty nice race and not too difficult.
“I was confident the tires would be ok, I have had a good car all weekend with no issues with the tires so I thought it would be easy to do it.”
The majority of drivers pitted three times during the race, but Raikkonen was able to stop just twice after he looked after his tires throughout the early stages of the race. When Fernando Alonso stopped for a third time, Raikkonen found a way past Adrian Sutil and saw out the remaining laps to claim his second win since his comeback at the beginning of 2012.
After a weekend marred by wet weather, Raikkonen was always wary of the rain returning and spoiling his race, so he ensured that he built up a big enough lead so he could ease off.
“I was just trying to make sure we had a gap if the rain came.
“I didn’t do any long runs over the winter but I knew I had a good car and I had a feeling it would be a good race.”
Raikkonen also claimed the fastest lap of the race with a best time of 1:29.274.
The Finnish driver will be pleased to have achieved such a strong result at the first race, but with Ferrari and Red Bull also showing good pace, Raikkonen may have a battle on his hands if he is to win a second world championship in 2013.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Pippa Mann revels in career-best IndyCar finish at Fontana 0
- After tough recent outings, Jack Hawksworth relishes 10th-place showing at Fontana 0
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 1
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 3
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1
- Sarrazin takes surprise pole in wet London ePrix qualifying 3
- DiZinno: IndyCar’s Double-Edged Sword in Fontana 19