Mar 18, 2013, 8:10 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso praised his Ferrari team for a tactical call that helped him to second place in the Australian Grand Prix.
Alonso was running fourth when race engineer Andrea Stella called him in for an early second pit stop on lap 19 of the 58-lap race.
After returning to the track on fresh tires, Alonso pumped in a quick lap which allowed him to jump ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Felipe Massa, and set him up to pass Adrian Sutil on the track.
“It was a very good decision,” said Alonso after the race.
“There is always the flexibility to anticipate the stop, delay the stop,” he added. “How the race goes is the tire degradation that you are facing through that particular race or the traffic you are facing through that race. In my case we felt we were a lot faster than the cars in front.”
However Alonso admitted that starting his third stint early meant he had to run longer in his final stints which cost him the chance to pass Kimi Raikkonen for the win:
“For that we could not maybe fight with Kimi because it was too early also for three stops, I think lap 21. It was enough to jump three places though, Sebastian, Felipe and Sutil.
“So it was a very good decision at the time but what we didn’t know at the time was the pace of the Lotus. So they did a better job than us and maybe we did a better job than the others in the front.”
Hear more from Alonso in the video above.
- Bell and Buxton’s two-seater ride around IMS (VIDEO) 0
- NBC Sports to feature 19.5 hours of Monaco coverage, with race live on NBC 0
- Robin Miller and Parnelli Jones: One-on-one (VIDEO) 0
- Diffey answers Twitter questions ahead of NBC’s live Monaco coverage 0
- “Turbo” star Michael Pena to wave green flag at Indy 500 0
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car