Mar 18, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
#22 Oriol Servia
• Team: Panther + Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
• Engine: Chevrolet
• Sponsors: Mecum Auctions/WIX Filters/Charter/Valspar
• 2012: 13th Place, Four Top Fives
2012 WRAP: After slogging through the first four events with a Lotus engine, DRR struck a strategic alliance with Panther Racing and flipped to Chevrolet power. The change made for an immediate jump in performance, as Servia charged from 27th to fourth at the Indianapolis 500. The Spaniard would also collect top-fives at Belle Isle, Milwaukee and Toronto, but what made him so memorable in 2012 was his ability to overcome poor qualifying results, as he passed a record 107 cars for position over the course of the season.
2013 OUTLOOK: As fun as it was to see Servia slice through the field, one assumes he and Panther + DRR would rather start up front more often and not have so much work for race day. Servia averaged a starting position of 18.3 in 2012, and he started from 20th or worse in seven of 15 races. But he’s proven that he can race his way into the lead pack from anywhere, and if he and his team can improve their qualifying work, Servia stands a good chance of cracking the top 10 in the championship.
Video from NASCAR America
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 0
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1
- Different agendas for Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr. at Homestead test 1
- NBC, NBCSN set for mega U.S. Grand Prix weekend of coverage from Austin 2
- Lewis Hamilton to join TODAY Show on Wednesday 0