Mar 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Kurt Busch secured his first top-five finish with his new team, Furniture Row Racing, Sunday at Bristol Motor Speedway. The 2004 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion benefited, incidentally, from late-race contact with Joey Logano.
“We ran into Logano with less than 50 to go; we had damage and we had to pit,” Busch told NASCAR.com. “I’m like ‘what else?’ But that allowed us to be off sequence (on pit stops); we put on four fresh tires on and we battled back.
“We probably wouldn’t have even put four on if we hadn’t had the damage, so we had to drop back and punt. And that was the best call to make.”
Logano’s race ended when Denny Hamlin contacted him. That sparked a post-race dustup between the two former Joe Gibbs Racing teammates.
As for Busch, the top five was his first since finishing third with Phoenix Racing on the Sonoma Raceway road course last June, and the first for the No. 78 Furniture Row entry since Regan Smith was fifth at last April’s Talladega race.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 4
- Ron Dennis clears up Alonso crash rumors; confirms he was briefly knocked unconscious but was not concussed 3
- McLaren confirms Alonso leaves hospital, and is out for final test 0
- Manor targets Melbourne appearance; announces Will Stevens as first driver 2
- Iconic F1 designer Gerard Ducarouge dies at 73 1
- F1: Barcelona 2015 first test cumulative times, lap counts, analysis 0