Mar 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Kurt Busch secured his first top-five finish with his new team, Furniture Row Racing, Sunday at Bristol Motor Speedway. The 2004 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion benefited, incidentally, from late-race contact with Joey Logano.
“We ran into Logano with less than 50 to go; we had damage and we had to pit,” Busch told NASCAR.com. “I’m like ‘what else?’ But that allowed us to be off sequence (on pit stops); we put on four fresh tires on and we battled back.
“We probably wouldn’t have even put four on if we hadn’t had the damage, so we had to drop back and punt. And that was the best call to make.”
Logano’s race ended when Denny Hamlin contacted him. That sparked a post-race dustup between the two former Joe Gibbs Racing teammates.
As for Busch, the top five was his first since finishing third with Phoenix Racing on the Sonoma Raceway road course last June, and the first for the No. 78 Furniture Row entry since Regan Smith was fifth at last April’s Talladega race.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)