Mar 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Kurt Busch secured his first top-five finish with his new team, Furniture Row Racing, Sunday at Bristol Motor Speedway. The 2004 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion benefited, incidentally, from late-race contact with Joey Logano.
“We ran into Logano with less than 50 to go; we had damage and we had to pit,” Busch told NASCAR.com. “I’m like ‘what else?’ But that allowed us to be off sequence (on pit stops); we put on four fresh tires on and we battled back.
“We probably wouldn’t have even put four on if we hadn’t had the damage, so we had to drop back and punt. And that was the best call to make.”
Logano’s race ended when Denny Hamlin contacted him. That sparked a post-race dustup between the two former Joe Gibbs Racing teammates.
As for Busch, the top five was his first since finishing third with Phoenix Racing on the Sonoma Raceway road course last June, and the first for the No. 78 Furniture Row entry since Regan Smith was fifth at last April’s Talladega race.
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 0
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 2
- Sauber aims to beat the blues of 2014 with C34’s launch 0
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 8