Mar 18, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
Kimi Raikkonen sent a warning message to his rivals following his victory in the Australian Grand Prix.
The Lotus driver said he hadn’t used the full potential of his E21 chassis on his way to victory in yesterday’s F1 season-opener.
“Of course I’m happy that we didn’t really have to go full speed all the time so it’s kind of a good sign, a good race for us.”
But he said he wasn’t taking anything for granted about his car’s potential in this week’s Malaysian Grand Prix.
“It might be a completely different story in the next race, so there’s nothing to jump up and be so extra happy about, because it’s a long season and in the end we want to be on the top for all the races and it’s going to be a hard season for that.”
“I think we have to do two or three races before we really know who is where and what’s going to happen,” he added.
“It’s probably going to rain again in Malaysia at some point but it will be a different circuit, different conditions. Our car worked well here at least and usually – at least last year – in hot conditions it’s been good for us so hopefully it will turn out to be a good weekend next week.”
Raikkonen’s victory in the first race of the season mimics his start to the 2007 campaign – which ended with him being crowned world champion.
Hear more from Raikkonen in the video above.
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)