Mar 18, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
Sebastian Vettel says he isn’t concerned about Red Bull’s performance despite a disappointing result in the first race of the season.
Vettel put his Red Bull RB9 on pole position for the Australian Grand Prix but fell to third place at the checkered flag. He was over 22 seconds behind winner Kimi Raikkonen.
“I don’t think you can take this race as a reference because the circuit is too different,” he said after the race.
The Albert Park circuit in Melbourne is a temporary venue with few high-speed corners, unlike most of the other circuits on the calendar.
Vettel also shrugged off questions whether the strong aerodynamic performance of the RB9, which makes it so strong over a single lap in qualifying, was harming its tires during the race:
“I think we are still very competitive but I think there’s a lot more to it than just the raw downforce level. You could argue that with more downforce you go faster, you’re asking more of the tires, all of those things, but I think overall there’s a certain trend where some cars seem to work pretty well in some conditions.
“As Kimi touched on today, he was struggling with front tires; I think for us it was more evened out. We had both axles running away from us. I’m not sure about the Ferraris but looking at their tires during running, it looked pretty similar to us, so especially at the end of the stints.”
Hear more from Vettel in the post-race video interview with him above.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)