Mar 19, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
#67 Josef Newgarden
- Team: Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing
- Engine: Honda
- Sponsors: Century 21 (Indianapolis 500 only; will run No. 21 for race)
- 2012: 23rd Place, Top Finish of 11th
2012 WRAP: After claiming the 2011 Firestone Indy Lights title, Newgarden’s first season in IndyCar was an ultimately unsuccessful one. The American qualified six times inside the Top 10, but constantly found trouble, ranging from going into the tires at Long Beach on the first corner to losing out on a podium at Toronto thanks to an ill-timed block from Simon Pagenaud. Newgarden also missed the Baltimore round after suffering a broken finger in a crash with Sebastien Bourdais at Sonoma. His best finish came in the season-opener at St. Petersburg.
2013 OUTLOOK: Nobody doubts that Newgarden has talent, which he showed on numerous occasions only to have the potentially solid results go by the boards. Also, keep in mind that he and SFHR had some tough circumstances to deal with going into 2012 – chief among them being not having an engine to work with until just weeks left in the off-season (Bobby Rahal gave them the second Honda motor that was earmarked for his own team). They’re much more prepared this time around, and with some luck, their efforts should begin to pay off.
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 2
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 7