Mar 19, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo drew satisfaction from beating the team he considers their “strongest rivals” in 2013.
“We raced a good race, particularly against Red Bull and Vettel, whom I consider our strongest rival,” he told the team’s website.
“Our goal was to make it to the podium and we did that. That’s definitely a positive start to the championship and will be good for the team psychologically: for the mechanics, the technicians and the drivers.”
“It was important to start the season well as that hadn’t happened in the last two years.” It was Ferrari’s best result at Melbourne since 2007, when Kimi Raikkonen won for the team and Felipe Massa finished sixth.
The Ferrari president praised Massa, who began his season as strongly as he ended the last one: “I’m satisfied with Felipe Massa’s performance – he was very fast in qualifying and delivered a brilliant race.”
“Fernando Alonso also did very well,” he added. “He looked motivated and happy to have seen the first good responses to the tests confirmed on the track. So now, it’s feet back on the ground because there’s still a lot of work to do.”
Ferrari have taken an early lead in the constructors’ championship, which they last won in 2008. Montezemolo has dubbed the team’s 2013 car “La Speranzosa”, which means “The Hopeful One” in Italian. But he admitted other teams have quicker cars:
“We have more development to do on the single-seater. We know we don’t have the fastest car but we have a lot of irons in the fire too. And obviously, developing an intrinsically good car is a much easier thing to do.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 19
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6