Mar 20, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
Most drivers name Spa or Suzuka as their favorite F1 circuits. But Romain Grosjean is especially fond of the next venue on the calendar.
The Sepang International circuit, which holds the Malaysian Grand Prix for the 15th time this year, is one the Lotus driver especially enjoys:
“Sepang is probably my favorite track of the whole season. I first raced there in 2008 as part of the GP2 Asia Series and I really loved the circuit. It’s nice and wide, with fast flowing corners and a lot of undulation which makes it great fun to drive.”
“The last corner is a tricky one, but I enjoy everything about racing there. Well, maybe not the heat and humidity, but at the end of the day it’s just another challenge for the drivers! I’m really looking forward to it.”
Grosjean had a disappointing result in last week’s season-opener. The Lotus driver finished tenth, 82 seconds behind his race-winning team mate.
“Everything looked positive after qualifying in the morning, but in the race something felt wrong with my car,” said Grosjean. “I sat down with my engineers to analyze where the problem came from and we hopefully will be able to perform better in the future.”
“The car felt so good at times over the weekend, but then at other times it wasn’t where I wanted it to be. It meant that the race felt long and pretty difficult for me.”
However team principal Eric Boullier felt Grosjean had make life difficult for himself by deviating from the team’s planned strategy:
“We had decided on a two-stop strategy before the race, even for Romain. Unfortunately, when he got stuck in traffic he changed strategy otherwise we could have had a strong result from both cars.”
- Walker: Getting fans “re-ignited” is IndyCar’s biggest challenge (46)
- What’s it cost to compete in Formula One? An IndyCar comparison (21)
- Ed Carpenter wins pole for the 97th Indianapolis 500 (11)
- Monaco Grand Prix combines glamour, glory and risk (VIDEO) (10)
- NBC Sports to feature 19.5 hours of Monaco coverage, with race live on NBC (9)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona