Mar 21, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
The Malaysian Grand Prix is renowned for its hot and humid conditions as well as the occasional rain shower due to the race being held in monsoon season. Following the delays caused by the weather in Australia last weekend, the weather forecast is bleak for teams keen on dry running.
Free Practice 1 on Friday is expected to be hit by heavy rain, which may lead to the teams opting to stay in their garages and hoping for an improvement in conditions. Although the rain will reduce in intensity for the second practice session a few hours later, showers will persist.
Similar conditions are forecast for FP3 and qualifying on Saturday, but as rain is so common in Sepang, the marshals should be able to ensure that qualifying goes ahead as normal to avoid a delay like last weekend.
On Sunday, the rain will subside throughout the day, but thunderstorms are forecast to hit Sepang during the race.
The Malaysian Grand Prix was hit by rain in 2012, causing a red flag delay until conditions improved. Once the race restarted, Fernando Alonso excelled in the wet conditions to take the win ahead of a charging Sergio Perez. In 2009, the race was red flagged after 31 laps, with the red flag delay becoming permanent, resulting in half points being awarded and Jenson Button being declared the winner. This is a situation the teams and fans will be keen on avoiding this weekend.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)