Mar 21, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Pastor Maldonado endured a disastrous weekend last time out in Australia, qualifying in 17th place before retiring from the race without bothering the points. Both he and teammate Valtteri Bottas cited the FW35 as being “problematic”, reasoning their poor showing, but Maldonado believes that Williams have found the solution.
“We think we see the problems and we have the solution. But we need to test it and we have different things to test on both cars. Then we will see if it is right or not.
“You never know if what you do will be the right thing for the car, but I’m pretty confident the team has done the right thing in the last three days.”
Maldonado, who won last year’s Spanish Grand Prix, compared the new car to the FW33 he drove during his debut season in 2011. Williams went on to have their worst year ever, scoring just five points between their two cars. Although the pace of Valtteri Bottas improved towards the end of the race in Australia, Maldonado did not save his words over Williams’ performance.
“What happened [in Australia] was the worst that can happen. Now for sure, with the analysis we’ve done, it’s clear where the problems are. Theoretically we have the solution but now we must do the tests very well and we have a good plan for the test. Hopefully it will be good.”
Maldonado will be hoping to finish for the first time in Malaysia, having retired in both the 2011 and 2012 races.
Video from NASCAR America
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0
- Kevin Harvick in a class of his own, dominates Atlanta NNS race 0
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar crowns its champion tonight at Fontana 1
- Lessons learned from Dale Earnhardt death readily seen in way NASCAR has dealt with Tony Stewart tragedy 2
- Aleshin conscious following heavy accident in MAVTV 500 final practice (UPDATED, VIDEO) 4