Mar 21, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT
The first Friday practice of the Malaysian Grand Prix was paced by Infiniti Red Bull’s Mark Webber, who turned in the quickest lap of the session at 1 minute, 36.935 seconds.
He and Red Bull teammate Sebastian Vettel were split at the top of the time sheets by last week’s winner at Australia, Kimi Raikkonen, who posted the second-quickest lap at 1 minute, 37.003 seconds in his Lotus despite being the last driver to run a timed lap due to issues with his car’s KERS system. Vettel was P3 in the practice with a time of 1 minute, 37.104 seconds.
Defending Malaysian GP champion Fernando Alonso was fourth-fastest for Ferrari (1:37.319) and Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg rounded out the top five (1:37.588).
Adrian Sutil managed to be sixth-quickest for Force India despite damaging his front wing after running over some curbs on the circuit. Positions 7-10 were filled by Felipe Massa (Ferrari), Paul di Resta (Force India), Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) and Romain Grosjean (Lotus).
As for McLaren, which struggled mightily with the MP4-28 in Melbourne, Jenson Button and Sergio Perez were only able to ascend to 11th and 13th-fastest in the session, respectively.
Formula One – Malaysian Grand Prix
Friday Practice One times
1. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 1:36.935
2. Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, 1:37.003
3. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:37.104
4. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1:37.319
5. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:37.588
6. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 1:37.769
7. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:37.771
8. Paul Di Resta, Force India, 1:37.773
9. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:37.840
10. Romain Grosjean, Lotus, 1:37.915
11. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1:38.173
12. Pastor Maldonado, Williams, 1:38.673
13. Sergio Perez, McLaren, 1:38.830
14. Nico Hulkenberg, Sauber, 1:39.054
15. Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, 1:39.204
16. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, 1:39.208
17. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso, 1:39.284
18. Daniel Ricciardo, Toro Rosso, 1:39.567
19. Giedo Van Der Garde, Caterham, 1:40.728
20. Jules Bianchi, Marussia, 1:40.996
21. Charles Pic, Caterham, 1:41.163
22. Max Chilton, Marussia, 1:41.513
Apr 25, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series’ race at Barber has been moved up to 5 p.m. ET, and 4 p.m. CT and local time on NBCSN.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT
Conor Daly has been confirmed in the Indianapolis 500 in SPM’s third car.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
Honda takes the wraps off the new Accord safety car.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Pigot scores his first Indy Lights pole at Barber.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Formula E’s championship leader looks ahead to his adopted home race in Monaco on May 9.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
2014 GP2 champion reflects on the opening four races of the year with Lotus.
WSR: Comtec pulls out of first Formula Renault 3.5 round, parts company with Regalia after three days
Apr 24, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Grid falls to 20 cars for the Formula Renault 3.5 opener in Spain this weekend.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
The Indian Grand Prix was last held in 2013 at the Buddh International Circuit.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Audi and Porsche will field three cars for the next two races of the FIA World Endurance Championship.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Red Bull has made a slow start to the 2015 season due to a variety of problems with the RB11 car.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Venezuelan driver currently bottom of the table after just one finish in four races.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
To reference the Smashing Pumpkins, Barber is the beginning of the end of the beginning for IndyCar 2015.
Apr 23, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
Andretti Autosport’s Mazda Road to Indy program goes to Barber Motorsports Park with one less Indy Lights entry.
Apr 23, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Graham Rahal aims to continue consistent success of one-car team at Barber Motorsports Park.
Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park
Apr 23, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to turn season around at track he’s won last two races at.
Apr 23, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
For a series that is in its inaugural year, Formula E is having little trouble in getting fans through the gate as it prepares to hit European shores for the first time.
Apr 23, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Luke Smith takes a look at the humble beginnings of what has turned into F1’s most prolific supplier of drivers, and takes a look at where the 2005 grid is now.
Apr 23, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
The new GP3 season kicks off in support of the Spanish Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.
Apr 23, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
NHRA team joins forces with non-profit dedicated to Chris Kyle
- WATCH: IndyCar qualifying from Barber at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8