Mar 21, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Verizon Wireless has extended its partnership with the IZOD IndyCar Series through the 2014 season and created the “Verizon P1″ award for pole winners at every race.
The pole-winning car’s rear wing will feature a gold medallion, which will flip to silver after the race. Every subsequent pole earned will see a star added to the medallion, and a special “P1″ flag will be displayed outside the pole winner’s garage for the rest of the race weekend.
In addition to its Official Partner status with the series, Verizon backs Will Power’s No. 12 Team Penske Chevrolet and provides the series’ official smartphone application.
Another important sponsor to the series also announced new initiatives. Pharmaceutical company Novo Nordisk, which backs Charlie Kimball’s No. 83 Chip Ganassi Racing Honda, will now sponsor the series’ emergency care vehicles and move its “Race With Insulin” program display inside the Fan Village at each IndyCar track.
Kimball, who enters his third IndyCar campaign this season, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 2007 and utilizes Novo Nordisk products to help manage his condition.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1