Mar 21, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Verizon Wireless has extended its partnership with the IZOD IndyCar Series through the 2014 season and created the “Verizon P1″ award for pole winners at every race.
The pole-winning car’s rear wing will feature a gold medallion, which will flip to silver after the race. Every subsequent pole earned will see a star added to the medallion, and a special “P1″ flag will be displayed outside the pole winner’s garage for the rest of the race weekend.
In addition to its Official Partner status with the series, Verizon backs Will Power’s No. 12 Team Penske Chevrolet and provides the series’ official smartphone application.
Another important sponsor to the series also announced new initiatives. Pharmaceutical company Novo Nordisk, which backs Charlie Kimball’s No. 83 Chip Ganassi Racing Honda, will now sponsor the series’ emergency care vehicles and move its “Race With Insulin” program display inside the Fan Village at each IndyCar track.
Kimball, who enters his third IndyCar campaign this season, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 2007 and utilizes Novo Nordisk products to help manage his condition.
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0