Mar 21, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
Verizon Wireless has extended its partnership with the IZOD IndyCar Series through the 2014 season and created the “Verizon P1″ award for pole winners at every race.
The pole-winning car’s rear wing will feature a gold medallion, which will flip to silver after the race. Every subsequent pole earned will see a star added to the medallion, and a special “P1″ flag will be displayed outside the pole winner’s garage for the rest of the race weekend.
In addition to its Official Partner status with the series, Verizon backs Will Power’s No. 12 Team Penske Chevrolet and provides the series’ official smartphone application.
Another important sponsor to the series also announced new initiatives. Pharmaceutical company Novo Nordisk, which backs Charlie Kimball’s No. 83 Chip Ganassi Racing Honda, will now sponsor the series’ emergency care vehicles and move its “Race With Insulin” program display inside the Fan Village at each IndyCar track.
Kimball, who enters his third IndyCar campaign this season, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 2007 and utilizes Novo Nordisk products to help manage his condition.
Video from NASCAR America
- Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 13
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 2