Mar 22, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
F1′s newest superstar Jules Bianchi already feels at home at the Sepang International Circuit despite it being his first time racing at the track.
“It’s my first time racing here and I am happy with the way I have acclimatized to the track,” said Bianchi. “Now we have to see what the rest of the weekend holds. It could be frustrating, it could be exciting. We will see.”
Bianchi finished an impressive 18th in Free Practice 2, 1.2 seconds ahead of closest rivals Caterham, and also in front of Williams’ Valtteri Bottas. The Frenchman is already turning heads in the F1 paddock, but he remains focused on improving his own pace ahead of qualifying on Saturday.
“I am pleased with my performance today though and we seem to be making progress on the set up we need here. This is just one of those races and circuits and it’s the same for every team.”
Practice wasn’t so straightforward for Bianchi’s teammate, Max Chilton. The British driver finished almost five seconds off Kimi Raikkonen in FP2 as he struggled in Sepang.
“Today hasn’t been the most straightforward of days but I know from experience that this circuit presents a variety of challenges, so not entirely unexpected,” revealed Chilton.
However, he believes that the conditions could aid him in what looks set to be a very close race on Sunday.
“The rain looks sets to play its part – that much looks clear. The rest is a little open right now so I think we will see an interesting qualifying and race.”
- Ricciardo aware of Vergne challenge for Red Bull seat (4)
- Report: IndyCar Series may return to Road America in 2014 (4)
- Social media a boon to F1, NASCAR — but IndyCar lags (4)
- Ecclestone: Mercedes should have declined, and Michelin’s not returning (3)
- Lotus concerned by tire choices for Britain, Hungary (3)
- Play Video: Hunter-Reay celebrates win in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Highlights: Hunter-Reay wins Milwaukee Mile again
- Play Video: Andretti Autosports dominates
- Play Video: Andretti makes it look easy in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Indy Car Series: Fast forward Texas
- Play Video: A recap of Pagenaud's first career IndyCar victory