Mar 22, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton is feeling positive ahead of qualifying for the Malaysian Grand Prix after a productive Friday at the Sepang International Circuit.
Despite finishing over one second off first-placed Kimi Raikkonen in Free Practice 2, Hamilton was pleased with his development work as he focused on long runs.
“We made some positive steps with the set-up over the two sessions today. I had a good long run in the dry which has given us a lot of information to look at tonight.
“We focused mainly on longer runs today so I haven’t done a quick lap yet on either set of tires; that will come tomorrow. I’m happy with the direction that we’re going and let’s see what the weekend brings.”
Hamilton finished in P5 in Australia, but he struggled in the dry conditions, and the 2008 world champion told Press Association Sport that he would not be in the running for the championship this season.
“At the moment, in terms of pure performance, we don’t have the speed to compete for the world title.
“I’m certainly thinking we could get one win, maybe more than one, but the other guys are going to make it as hard as they can that’s for sure.”
Fellow Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg is predicting that tire management will be crucial in Malaysia due to the aggressive wear many of the teams are experiencing, and he conceded that he had plenty of work to do.
“As we saw in Melbourne, tire management will be the key to success, so that’s our focus for the practice sessions,” said Rosberg.
“The conditions were tough out there and the heat is unbelievable. Generally we learnt a lot today but we still have some homework to do tonight and tomorrow.”
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 0
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 1
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 1
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0