Mar 22, 2013, 12:38 PM EST
IndyCar’s new number one led the opening practice session of the 2013 season. Ryan Hunter-Reay led an Andretti Autosport 1-2, a best of 1:02.4534 around the 1.8-mile St. Petersburg street circuit, ahead of teammate James Hinchcliffe.
The top 22 of the 25 cars entered were within one second. Andretti’s other two drivers were also strong, with E.J. Viso in fourth and Marco Andretti in 10th.
Will Power was third and Tony Kanaan in fifth completed an all-Chevrolet top five.
The top Honda runner was Dario Franchitti in sixth, ahead of Simona de Silvestro (Chevrolet), Josef Newgarden (Honda), Sebastien Bourdais and Andretti (Chevrolet).
Only Graham Rahal, Ed Carpenter and Ana Beatriz were outside one second of Hunter-Reay in the opening practice session. Practice two goes green at 2:40 p.m. EST.
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (11)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Stewart: There’s “a lot of potential” for Danica Patrick (8)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)