Mar 22, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
IndyCar’s new number one led the opening practice session of the 2013 season. Ryan Hunter-Reay led an Andretti Autosport 1-2, a best of 1:02.4534 around the 1.8-mile St. Petersburg street circuit, ahead of teammate James Hinchcliffe.
The top 22 of the 25 cars entered were within one second. Andretti’s other two drivers were also strong, with E.J. Viso in fourth and Marco Andretti in 10th.
Will Power was third and Tony Kanaan in fifth completed an all-Chevrolet top five.
The top Honda runner was Dario Franchitti in sixth, ahead of Simona de Silvestro (Chevrolet), Josef Newgarden (Honda), Sebastien Bourdais and Andretti (Chevrolet).
Only Graham Rahal, Ed Carpenter and Ana Beatriz were outside one second of Hunter-Reay in the opening practice session. Practice two goes green at 2:40 p.m. EST.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1