Mar 22, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
IndyCar’s new number one led the opening practice session of the 2013 season. Ryan Hunter-Reay led an Andretti Autosport 1-2, a best of 1:02.4534 around the 1.8-mile St. Petersburg street circuit, ahead of teammate James Hinchcliffe.
The top 22 of the 25 cars entered were within one second. Andretti’s other two drivers were also strong, with E.J. Viso in fourth and Marco Andretti in 10th.
Will Power was third and Tony Kanaan in fifth completed an all-Chevrolet top five.
The top Honda runner was Dario Franchitti in sixth, ahead of Simona de Silvestro (Chevrolet), Josef Newgarden (Honda), Sebastien Bourdais and Andretti (Chevrolet).
Only Graham Rahal, Ed Carpenter and Ana Beatriz were outside one second of Hunter-Reay in the opening practice session. Practice two goes green at 2:40 p.m. EST.
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 5
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 5