Mar 22, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
The new CEO of Hulman and Co., and by default the leader of IndyCar’s parent company, is working to soak up the experience of his first series race weekend outside the Indianapolis 500.
Mark Miles, former president of the ATP tennis tour, had the opportunity to introduce himself to teams, competitors and the series at IndyCar’s Spring Training at Barber Motorsports Park two weeks ago. Now, this weekend in St. Petersburg, he dismissed this being referred to as a “crash course.”
“A poor choice of words,” he told MotorSports Talk on Thursday. “I’d rather say it’s been a fast paced atmosphere.”
Miles was immediately impressed by his time at Barber in learning about all the aspects of the series.
“It was all of it, really,” he said. “There’s the speed, the technical aspects, seeing all the cars on track and seeing them all go so much faster, there. I’m continuing to be blown away by the drivers, how positive they all are, and how they’re so willing to do what it takes for themselves and the series.”
Miles will also be heavily active in promotion of Turbo, the new DreamWorks animation movie premiering in July highlighting a snail’s quest to race in the Indianapolis 500. From previews and trailers, it looks a lot better than that description might indicate.
“Turbo is really exciting,” he said. “We sort of can’t wait until it gets out there in July and we can start promoting it, I believe in May if not sooner, and that will really be fun.”
He told USA Today’s Nate Ryan that Turbo would be “practically a beautiful advertisement for the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.”
A trailer for the movie is below.
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Hunter-Reay celebrates win in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Highlights: Hunter-Reay wins Milwaukee Mile again
- Play Video: Andretti Autosports dominates
- Play Video: Andretti makes it look easy in Milwaukee
- Play Video: Indy Car Series: Fast forward Texas
- Play Video: A recap of Pagenaud's first career IndyCar victory