Mar 22, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
The new CEO of Hulman and Co., and by default the leader of IndyCar’s parent company, is working to soak up the experience of his first series race weekend outside the Indianapolis 500.
Mark Miles, former president of the ATP tennis tour, had the opportunity to introduce himself to teams, competitors and the series at IndyCar’s Spring Training at Barber Motorsports Park two weeks ago. Now, this weekend in St. Petersburg, he dismissed this being referred to as a “crash course.”
“A poor choice of words,” he told MotorSports Talk on Thursday. “I’d rather say it’s been a fast paced atmosphere.”
Miles was immediately impressed by his time at Barber in learning about all the aspects of the series.
“It was all of it, really,” he said. “There’s the speed, the technical aspects, seeing all the cars on track and seeing them all go so much faster, there. I’m continuing to be blown away by the drivers, how positive they all are, and how they’re so willing to do what it takes for themselves and the series.”
Miles will also be heavily active in promotion of Turbo, the new DreamWorks animation movie premiering in July highlighting a snail’s quest to race in the Indianapolis 500. From previews and trailers, it looks a lot better than that description might indicate.
“Turbo is really exciting,” he said. “We sort of can’t wait until it gets out there in July and we can start promoting it, I believe in May if not sooner, and that will really be fun.”
He told USA Today’s Nate Ryan that Turbo would be “practically a beautiful advertisement for the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.”
A trailer for the movie is below.
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2