Mar 22, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
A monument paying tribute to the late Dan Wheldon was unveiled Thursday in St. Petersburg. Wheldon adopted St. Petersburg as his American hometown after he moved from England ahead of his open-wheel career.
The monument is outside of Turn 10 on the St. Petersburg street circuit, near Dan Wheldon Way, where race winner Helio Castroneves climbed the fence one year ago.
All current IndyCar Series drivers were on hand and posed with Susie Wheldon, Dan’s widow, who will wave the green flag on Sunday.
“I’m looking forward to a great weekend filled with reflection, but also lots and lots of celebration,” she said. “A year from now, 10 years from now, I feel like I’ll always be a part of the IndyCar family.”
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3