Mar 22, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
A monument paying tribute to the late Dan Wheldon was unveiled Thursday in St. Petersburg. Wheldon adopted St. Petersburg as his American hometown after he moved from England ahead of his open-wheel career.
The monument is outside of Turn 10 on the St. Petersburg street circuit, near Dan Wheldon Way, where race winner Helio Castroneves climbed the fence one year ago.
All current IndyCar Series drivers were on hand and posed with Susie Wheldon, Dan’s widow, who will wave the green flag on Sunday.
“I’m looking forward to a great weekend filled with reflection, but also lots and lots of celebration,” she said. “A year from now, 10 years from now, I feel like I’ll always be a part of the IndyCar family.”
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1