Mar 23, 2013, 6:30 AM EDT
Jenson Button is pleased to have qualified in the top ten for the Malaysian Grand Prix, and he feels that McLaren has made a big step forward since Australia.
The team struggled at the last race, scoring just two points and Button expressed the need to work hard on improving the car. After qualifying in Malaysia, he told Adam Cooper how he could feel the difference in the car.
“Forgetting the wet conditions, I think we’ve improved from Australia.
“If you look through qualifying, in Q1 and Q2 on dry tires, we were more competitive. Still nowhere near the top, but we were more competitive, and we should be very happy with what we’ve achieved so far this weekend. It’s only five days after a pretty tough race for us, so we’re making progress. And that’s very positive.”
Button was joined in the final qualifying session by teammate Sergio Perez, but the team struggled to match the front runners in the rain and subsequently qualified in 8th and 10th. Despite lining up P8, Button is looking forward to the race tomorrow relying it does not rain.
“I struggled with lack of grip in high speed at the rear, lots of rear movement. Most of the time our car has been very good in the wet, but today it isn’t.
“We’ve got a bit of work to do, and we lucked in with the rain in Q2 at the end, but tomorrow we’re looking forward to the race. I wasn’t really looking forward to the race in Melbourne.”
- Walker: Getting fans “re-ignited” is IndyCar’s biggest challenge (46)
- What’s it cost to compete in Formula One? An IndyCar comparison (21)
- Ed Carpenter wins pole for the 97th Indianapolis 500 (11)
- Monaco Grand Prix combines glamour, glory and risk (VIDEO) (10)
- NBC Sports to feature 19.5 hours of Monaco coverage, with race live on NBC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights