Mar 23, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
While Formula One leader Bernie Ecclestone hopes he’ll be able to extend the current contract for the Malaysian Grand Prix (due to expire in 2015), the British billionaire is also leaning on race organizers to complete their renovations on the Sepang International Circuit — mentioning that it needed a “paint job.”
“They need to finish what they started,” Ecclestone told The Star of Malaysia. “It is obviously not the same as Singapore. Maybe because they don’t spend the money.”
The Sepang circuit, which can seat up to 130,000 fans and lies south of the country’s capital of Kuala Lumpur, opened in 1999 with Formula One making its debut there that year. Organizers are currently in the second year of a five-year refurbishment project to the facility, with The Star reporting that the next main priority is the installation of a roof at the track’s paddock area, as well as additional public restrooms and surau, or prayer rooms.
The roof is set to be completed in time for the track’s MotoGP event in October.
However, outside of refurbishing Sepang, Ecclestone appears relatively happy with the Malaysian Grand Prix and wants to keep it on the F1 calendar for a while — telling The Star that “there are no dramas” involved in working with organizers there.
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)