Mar 23, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Mark Martin led a Toyota sweep of the top three positions during final practice for tomorrow’s Auto Club 400 at Auto Club Speedway, posting a top lap at 183.351 mph in the No. 55 Michael Waltrip Racing Camry. Martin, who ran 30 laps in “Happy Hour” and is slated to start ninth in the 200-lap race for the Sprint Cup Series, came out ahead of MWR teammate Clint Bowyer (182.945) and Joe Gibbs Racing’s Matt Kenseth (182.839).
While Kenseth brought Toyota their 50th Sprint Cup win at Las Vegas, he and the rest of the Toyota gang face some pressure this weekend at Fontana. Toyota’s American operations are based in Torrance, Calif., a hour or so west of Auto Club Speedway. In addition, Toyota Racing Development (which provides engines for MWR and JGR) makes Orange County home.
The manufacturer has won eight consecutive Nationwide Series events at ACS going into this weekend and also has a 2001 Champ Car win there thanks to Cristiano da Matta, but they’ve never won a Sprint Cup race at its “home” track.
Still, Bowyer is confident that a victory in SoCal is coming.
“I think this is a track that Toyota is going to win at soon,” Bowyer told NASCAR.com’s David Caraviello. “Our speeds are fast with our Toyotas on these big race tracks.
“A Toyota won at the only mile-and-a-half we’ve had so far — that speed will carry over, I believe, on this race track. There’s several of us that run well here as teams and drivers and our equipment is certainly second to none, so we’ll be just fine.”
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 1
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5