Mar 23, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Mark Martin led a Toyota sweep of the top three positions during final practice for tomorrow’s Auto Club 400 at Auto Club Speedway, posting a top lap at 183.351 mph in the No. 55 Michael Waltrip Racing Camry. Martin, who ran 30 laps in “Happy Hour” and is slated to start ninth in the 200-lap race for the Sprint Cup Series, came out ahead of MWR teammate Clint Bowyer (182.945) and Joe Gibbs Racing’s Matt Kenseth (182.839).
While Kenseth brought Toyota their 50th Sprint Cup win at Las Vegas, he and the rest of the Toyota gang face some pressure this weekend at Fontana. Toyota’s American operations are based in Torrance, Calif., a hour or so west of Auto Club Speedway. In addition, Toyota Racing Development (which provides engines for MWR and JGR) makes Orange County home.
The manufacturer has won eight consecutive Nationwide Series events at ACS going into this weekend and also has a 2001 Champ Car win there thanks to Cristiano da Matta, but they’ve never won a Sprint Cup race at its “home” track.
Still, Bowyer is confident that a victory in SoCal is coming.
“I think this is a track that Toyota is going to win at soon,” Bowyer told NASCAR.com’s David Caraviello. “Our speeds are fast with our Toyotas on these big race tracks.
“A Toyota won at the only mile-and-a-half we’ve had so far — that speed will carry over, I believe, on this race track. There’s several of us that run well here as teams and drivers and our equipment is certainly second to none, so we’ll be just fine.”
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 0
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1