Mar 23, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Mark Webber has been left feeling frustrated after qualifying in 5th for the Malaysian Grand Prix. His teammate Sebastian Vettel managed to secure pole position, and the Australian driver has cited his timing as being the reason why he lost out.
“It’s disappointing to finish fifth,” he explained. “We didn’t get the timing quite right in the last part of Q3. I thought I had more laps.”
Webber was certain that he had the pace to challenge Vettel and the Ferrari duo of Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso, who will start P2 and P3 respectively.
“We were quick enough, but we went too slow on the lap when we should have been going quick and it meant we didn’t get a last timed lap in.
“It’s frustrating when you put so much work in and know you could have done better.”
Despite his frustration, Webber was looking forward to the race tomorrow as he bids for his first Grand Prix victory since last year’s British Grand Prix.
“I’m looking forward to the race tomorrow. It should be interesting with the weather.”
Webber has shown signs of good pace in Malaysia this weekend, finishing as the quickest driver in FP1 on Friday. However, he could not match his teammate for raw pace towards the end of the session. Vettel was pleased with the result, but he refused to make any predictions for the race tomorrow.
“It was a good session in Q3 and it was clear what we had to do,” said Vettel.
“I’m pleased with the result. It’s a long race tomorrow and whoever wins will have done the best job. We managed to save some tires today which will help if the race is dry, but we will see.”
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 0
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 3
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix Preview 0
- James Hinchcliffe on the comeback trail for IndyCar driving return 1
- Bottas and Massa to remain with Williams for 2016 1
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0