Mar 24, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
2012 IndyCar engine champion Chevrolet picked up where they left off in today’s season-opening Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
James Hinchcliffe led the Bowtie Brigade with his inaugural IndyCar victory, and fellow Chevy campers Helio Castroneves and Marco Andretti joined him on the podium (pictured). Tony Kanaan’s fourth-place effort created a 1-2-3-4 sweep for the American manufacturer.
“Preparing for the 2013 IndyCar season has been a team effort with all the Chevrolet teams,” said Jim Campbell, U.S. vice president of performance vehicles and motorsports for Chevy. “It is a long season, but this is a solid way to start.”
After being unable to fully match Chevy’s pace over the weekend, Honda had appeared ready to fight back by putting eight of their drivers in the top 10 during the pre-race warmup session. But when the checkered flag flew on Sunday, only one of their men — Scott Dixon — cracked the Top 5. Honda did get eighth, ninth, and tenth place efforts respectively from Takuma Sato, Justin Wilson, and Alex Tagliani.
Honda Performance Development president Art St. Cyr vowed that things would get better for his side and also hailed Dixon and Sato for their efforts.
“Obviously, it was a disappointing start to our IndyCar season, but we will learn from this and everyone at Honda Performance Development will work, together with our teams, to get back to the top of the podium,” he said. “Congratulations to Scott Dixon for an inspiring drive in today’s race, and to Takuma Sato and the A.J. Foyt team for their weekend-long performance. They have certainly stepped up a level this season, and that is encouraging.”
- Indiana native Bryan Clauson ready for special Indy 500 return 1
- On eve of 300th IndyCar start, Helio Castroneves eyes record-tying fourth Indy 500 win 0
- Alex Tagliani to drive 3rd AJ Foyt car in Indy 500, will pay tribute to Dan Gurney 1
- NHRA legend John Force turns 66, not slowing down any time soon 1
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 2
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2