Mar 24, 2013, 1:26 PM EST
Dario Franchitti is out of the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg after hitting the wall at Turn 3 on Lap 18.
Franchitti had qualified 10th and had just made his first pit stop of the day before he slid up the corner and stuffed his No. 10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Honda into the concrete barrier. Afterwards, the four-time IZOD IndyCar Series champion chalked it up to cold tires and driver error.
“We’ve really struggled with the car and that’s what I was just saying to [team owner] Chip [Ganassi],” he told NBC Sports Network. “I had to try and make it up somewhere and I just stepped over the line there. Cold tires, hit a bump in [Turn] 3 with the ride height being so low and the low tire pressures, and got in the marbles and hit the wall.
“[It was] totally my mistake. Just pushing too hard to get some kind of – get back on some kind of level peg somehow – and I stepped over the line.”
Franchitti also mentioned that the team was “a long, long way from where we need to be” in terms of making progress on the car.
“We’ve got a bit of work to do,” he said.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1
- With Vettel, Alonso, Mercedes and Renault all on the move, Abu Dhabi will mark the end of an era in F1 0
- 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Preview 0
- Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari for 2015 season, partnering Kimi Raikkonen 0