Mar 24, 2013, 7:45 AM EST
Lewis Hamilton was not in a celebratory mood despite claiming his first podium finish for Mercedes, as the British driver feels that teammate Nico Rosberg should have finished ahead of him in third place.
“If I am honest, Nico should be standing here. He had better pace. I was fuel saving for a long, long time.”
After the final round of stops, Rosberg closed to within one second of Hamilton, and he asked his engineer to make Hamilton move over, feeling that he was faster. However, team principal Ross Brawn reacted angrily, telling Rosberg that Hamilton was being told to back off also, and that he had the pace to finish on the podium.
However, it turns out that Hamilton was in fact saving fuel, which should have allowed Rosberg to pass. Instead, the British driver claimed third place, but he reinforced the importance of the team result.
“The guys did a great job and I brought it home. I can’t say it’s the best feeling being up here but racing is racing.”
Hamilton and Rosberg are widely known to be good friends, having raced together since their karting days. It is unlikely that this debacle will put any pressure on their relationship (unlike Webber and Vettel), but it does show that Rosberg is unwilling to play second fiddle to Hamilton this season.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
During the first round of stops, Lewis Hamilton made a humorous mistake in the pits, entering the pit box of his former team, McLaren. He did not lose too much time, but it certainly raised a few smiles up and down the pit lane.
“I don’t know how I got it wrong, a big apology to my team.”
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 1
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0