Mar 24, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Jean-Eric Vergne may have scored Scuderia Toro Rosso’s first point of the 2013 season in Malaysia, but the French driver believes that he could have fared better during the race.
“It’s good to finish in the points, but it’s a shame that a mistake in the pits cost us so much, as I could have done something better.
“Overall, I feel rather frusttrated, but I’ll take the point gladly.”
Vergne claimed P10 following Esteban Gutierrez’s late pit stop, and the Toro Rosso managed to stave off pressure from Valtteri Bottas in the final stages of the race. However, Vergne is looking to move on from the race and focus on the Chinese Grand Prix in three weeks’ time.
“We now have a short break before we go racing again and we must use that time to take a close look at how we performed and where we can do better, because there is certainly a lot of room for improvement.”
Vergne’s qualifying form has been questionable, failing to reach Q2 in Malaysia whilst his teammate Daniel Ricciardo managed to qualify an impressive 13th. However, Vergne got the better of his teammate in the race, and this was the one positive the Frenchman took out of the weekend.
“Once we got over our problems I had a good race pace and managed to make up a lot of places.”
Toro Rosso will be pleased with how they have started the season, especially given how McLaren and Williams have struggled. Vergne’s belief that the team can improve is proof that the Faenza-based team have the potential to better their haul of 26 points from 2012, and perhaps challenge their midfield rivals more intensely this season.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1