Mar 24, 2013, 6:32 AM EDT
Mark Webber has made no secret of his disappointment after losing the Malaysian Grand Prix to Sebastian Vettel late in the race, claiming that he was told to ease off.
“After the last stop the team told me the race was over,” he said. “We turned the engine down to go to the end.”
With their cars in first and second place, Red Bull asked their drivers to hold position in order to secure the result. However, it would appear that Vettel defied the team, and went in pursuit of the victory which he claimed after 56 laps in Malaysia. Webber made it clear that he felt Vettel had acted against the interests of the team
“The team made a decision which we always say before the start of the race is how it’s probably going to be: we look after the tires and get the cars to the end.
“In the end Seb made his own decisions today and will have protection as usual, and that’s the way it goes. I’m disappointed with the outcome of today’s race.”
Red Bull have been accused of favoring Vettel in the past, with Webber being told on many occasions to back off so as to not pose a threat to the German driver. Helmut Marko, a Red Bull advis0r, has repeatedly supported Vettel over Webber, which has gone a long way to causing disharmony within the team. With their relationship at an all-time low, Red Bull have a lot of work to do if they are to stop this inter-team battle affecting their championship aspirations.
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 1
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)