Hamilton: No number one at Mercedes

Mar 26, 2013, 12:29 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia Getty Images

Lewis Hamilton has denied he is treated as a “number one driver” at Mercedes.

Hamilton’s team mate Nico Rosberg was ordered not to overtake him in the closing stages of the Malaysian Grand Prix. But Hamilton denied he is being given preferential treatment at Mercedes:

“We don’t have a one and two at Mercedes. I have always said, from the moment I was speaking to the team, that I wanted equality.”

Hamilton’s pace was slow in the latter stages of the Malaysian Grand Prix as he had been told repeatedly by his team to save fuel. Behind him Rosberg had received similar but less frequent messages and believed he could go faster.

Rosberg told his team: “Tell him to speed up a bit this is too slow” but team principal Ross Brawn replied: “Nico please drop back, leave a gap.”

“We have to look after the cars,” Brawn added. “There’s a massive gap behind and there’s nothing to gain in front. I want to bring these cars home, please.”

Hamilton later said he felt Rosberg should have been on the podium instead of him: “You have be able to look at yourself in the mirror [and say] you won fair and square.”

“In Malaysia I don’t feel like I won my spot fair and square. Although I did drive a decent race, I don’t feel spectacular about it.”

1. wallio - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Riiiiiigggghhhhtttttt

2. icemanpjn - Mar 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Got any evidence to the contrary or just want to believe whatever you like?

3. wallio - Mar 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Seriously? How long have you been watching F1? Nearly every team has a #1. Thats the way it works. Vettel at RBR, Alonso at the Scuderia, Button at Macca, Chilton at Marussia, and Hammy at Merc. Remember, Schumi was the number #1 at Merc (remember the stupid “run the old car at Austin call?) and in addition to loads of money, it was widely reported Hammy was going to get number 1 status, so he could help rebuild the team. Plus Sunday showed it with the orders themselves!

4. biggie900 - Mar 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM

wallio & icemanpjn u doubt Hamilton’s sincerity bout the outcome? Rosberg should of just disobeyed team orders and pass Lewis!? hop on over to ESPNF1 & read the quotes frm Button bout Vettel’s disobedience.

• wallio - Mar 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I never said Nico should have disobeyed. As a lower series racing driver, I’ve been given all kinds of orders over the years and you always listen. ALWAYS. I just don’t believe Hammy when he claims nt o be the number #1. Rosberg was much faster and could have challenged the Bulls (many pundits have said the same) and again, last year when Hammy left Macca (where he was #1) for Merc he was to be given #1 status. And honestly at this point whats the bg deal? #1 and #2 drives have been in F1 since the ’50s (its how Fangio won a few of his titles) no one cares anymore, why lie about it?

5. islamatron - Mar 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM

The fact remains, Nico passed LH 3 times, yes 3 times that race, and LH repassed him immediately. All they would have done is run themselves out of fuel passing each other. Those were not team orders they were team instructions, and good ones.

6. worknman24hours - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Lewis said,”Nico Barrichello is on the exact same footing as I am with the Mercedes team.”

He further added,”I have no problem racing with Rubens Rosberg on MY team at any time in the coming season.”

Video from NASCAR America

Most unexpected event of 2014?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches