Mar 26, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
Denny Hamlin will be out at least six weeks with his broken vertebrae, according to his team.
“I wish I got good news today. I didn’t,” Hamlin tweeted late Tuesday night.
Joe Gibbs Racing has not yet announced a replacement – a logical candidate is Elliott Sadler, one of the team’s drivers in the NASCAR Nationwide Series. Potentially, Hamlin could still make the Chase for the Sprint Cup as a wild card entrant if he wins enough races and remains in the top 20 in the driver’s standings.
Hamlin has made the Chase every year since he entered the series full-time in 2006.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 Japanese Grand Prix Preview 0
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24