Mar 26, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
Denny Hamlin will be out at least six weeks with his broken vertebrae, according to his team.
“I wish I got good news today. I didn’t,” Hamlin tweeted late Tuesday night.
Joe Gibbs Racing has not yet announced a replacement – a logical candidate is Elliott Sadler, one of the team’s drivers in the NASCAR Nationwide Series. Potentially, Hamlin could still make the Chase for the Sprint Cup as a wild card entrant if he wins enough races and remains in the top 20 in the driver’s standings.
Hamlin has made the Chase every year since he entered the series full-time in 2006.
- You might be surprised: Which former NASCAR champ holds record for most career last-place finishes? 0
- Lotus to defend Australian GP crown on the back foot 1
- Manager: Schumacher showing “small, encouraging signs” 0
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 2
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 1
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)