Mar 26, 2013, 6:43 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso’s 200th grand prix appearance did not go well. Here’s more about that and four other interesting statistics from the Malaysian Grand Prix.
200 appearances for Alonso…
Fernando Alonso reached a milestone 200 grand prix appearances. However this was only his 198th race as he failed to start on two of his previous appearances.
But it wasn’t a happy race for the Ferrari driver, who crashed out on the second lap after losing his front wing.
Likewise Mark Webber also racked up his 200th appearance in a Grand Prix. He made his F1 debut in 2002, the year after Alonso, taking his place at Minardi while Alonso spent a year as a test driver. Webber also failed to start two of his appearances.
And nor did the grand prix go well for Webber, who had victory taken away from him when team mate Sebastian Vettel disobeyed a team order.
Vettel ties with Stewart
Vettel may not be winning any popularity contests at the moment but his assault on the F1 record books continues. He now has as many race victories as fellow three-times champion Jackie Stewart.
But there are some big names with big win tallies ahead of him. And will he catch Alonso this year?
McLaren extend points streak
McLaren have already beaten the previous record for most consecutive points scores with their current run and have not increased it to 60 races in a row. They haven’t failed to score in a race since the first round of the 2010 season.
Drivers score with new teams
McLaren’s latest points came courtesy of their newest driver, Sergio Perez. But he can’t have been too pleased to finish behind the driver who replaced him at the team he just left. Nico Hulkenberg scored his first points for Sauber with eighth.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 1
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10