Mar 26, 2013, 6:43 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso’s 200th grand prix appearance did not go well. Here’s more about that and four other interesting statistics from the Malaysian Grand Prix.
200 appearances for Alonso…
Fernando Alonso reached a milestone 200 grand prix appearances. However this was only his 198th race as he failed to start on two of his previous appearances.
But it wasn’t a happy race for the Ferrari driver, who crashed out on the second lap after losing his front wing.
Likewise Mark Webber also racked up his 200th appearance in a Grand Prix. He made his F1 debut in 2002, the year after Alonso, taking his place at Minardi while Alonso spent a year as a test driver. Webber also failed to start two of his appearances.
And nor did the grand prix go well for Webber, who had victory taken away from him when team mate Sebastian Vettel disobeyed a team order.
Vettel ties with Stewart
Vettel may not be winning any popularity contests at the moment but his assault on the F1 record books continues. He now has as many race victories as fellow three-times champion Jackie Stewart.
But there are some big names with big win tallies ahead of him. And will he catch Alonso this year?
McLaren extend points streak
McLaren have already beaten the previous record for most consecutive points scores with their current run and have not increased it to 60 races in a row. They haven’t failed to score in a race since the first round of the 2010 season.
Drivers score with new teams
McLaren’s latest points came courtesy of their newest driver, Sergio Perez. But he can’t have been too pleased to finish behind the driver who replaced him at the team he just left. Nico Hulkenberg scored his first points for Sauber with eighth.
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 0
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 1
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- A save and a beauty from Matt Kenseth in Vegas (VIDEO) 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)