Mar 26, 2013, 6:43 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso’s 200th grand prix appearance did not go well. Here’s more about that and four other interesting statistics from the Malaysian Grand Prix.
200 appearances for Alonso…
Fernando Alonso reached a milestone 200 grand prix appearances. However this was only his 198th race as he failed to start on two of his previous appearances.
But it wasn’t a happy race for the Ferrari driver, who crashed out on the second lap after losing his front wing.
Likewise Mark Webber also racked up his 200th appearance in a Grand Prix. He made his F1 debut in 2002, the year after Alonso, taking his place at Minardi while Alonso spent a year as a test driver. Webber also failed to start two of his appearances.
And nor did the grand prix go well for Webber, who had victory taken away from him when team mate Sebastian Vettel disobeyed a team order.
Vettel ties with Stewart
Vettel may not be winning any popularity contests at the moment but his assault on the F1 record books continues. He now has as many race victories as fellow three-times champion Jackie Stewart.
But there are some big names with big win tallies ahead of him. And will he catch Alonso this year?
McLaren extend points streak
McLaren have already beaten the previous record for most consecutive points scores with their current run and have not increased it to 60 races in a row. They haven’t failed to score in a race since the first round of the 2010 season.
Drivers score with new teams
McLaren’s latest points came courtesy of their newest driver, Sergio Perez. But he can’t have been too pleased to finish behind the driver who replaced him at the team he just left. Nico Hulkenberg scored his first points for Sauber with eighth.
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 0
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)