Mar 27, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Eight drivers – including three rookies prepping for this year’s Indianapolis 500 – took to Texas Motor Speedway on Wednesday to acclimate themselves with the new aero package to the track and gain some valuable oval laps of testing.
A year ago (right), Texas ran a modified wing package and with reduced downforce, produced one of the most exciting races of the season. Now, the wing package for Texas is more in line with what was featured at Indianapolis and Fontana, IndyCar’s two longest ovals (2.5 and 2.0 miles).
“It’s a lot different (from a stock car to drive around TMS),” Team Penske’s AJ Allmendinger told IndyCar.com, after his latest IndyCar test after shifting back from NASCAR. “A little track knowledge (helps), and all these mile-and-a-half tracks a little different – they have their own character – so it’s good to know but it’s still different.”
Besides Allmendinger, full season rookie Tristan Vautier and Andretti Autosport rookie Carlos Munoz were on hand turning their first oval laps in the Dallara DW12 chassis.
Veterans on hand included Vautier’s teammate Simon Pagenaud, Rahal Letterman Lanigan’s pair of Graham Rahal and James Jakes, Takuma Sato (A.J. Foyt Racing), and Ed Carpenter (his own ECR team).
No speeds were listed for the private test, but a year ago the pole speed at Texas was 215.691 mph set by Alex Tagliani.
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)