Mar 27, 2013, 9:09 AM EDT
Williams founder Frank Williams has appointed his daughter Claire as the new deputy team principal.
The pair will work together on the day-to-day running of the team and its long-term development.
The team originally planned to announce the change before the start of the new season, but postponed it following the death of Frank’s wife Virginia. Technical director Mike Coughlan was acting deputy team principal during the first two races.
“Over the past decade Claire has worked tirelessly for Williams. Her knowledge of the sport and passion for the team is unquestionable and I’m proud to say that during her time here she has proven herself to be one of our most valuable assets,” said the team founder, adding he knows “Williams is in extremely safe hands”.
“I understand the commitment that every person within the team gives each day to see our car out on the track and I am determined to see us back at the top,” said his daughter.
“It has been a sad month for my family and Williams as a company following the death of my mother,” she added, “but as the season takes hold we must look to the future.”
Williams have had a disappointing start to the season on the track as well, with neither Pastor Maldonado nor Valtteri Bottas scoring in the first two races.
In a Twitter Q&A shortly after the news was announced Williams said her target is for the team to beat last year’s championship position of eighth and score regular top ten finishes.
She added the greatest challenge her team and its rivals face at present is generating income:
CW: Sponsorship – generating income to keep us all racing. Applicable for all teams at the moment in this economic climate—
Williams F1 Team (@WilliamsF1Team) March 27, 2013
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 4
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)