Mar 27, 2013, 9:09 AM EDT
Williams founder Frank Williams has appointed his daughter Claire as the new deputy team principal.
The pair will work together on the day-to-day running of the team and its long-term development.
The team originally planned to announce the change before the start of the new season, but postponed it following the death of Frank’s wife Virginia. Technical director Mike Coughlan was acting deputy team principal during the first two races.
“Over the past decade Claire has worked tirelessly for Williams. Her knowledge of the sport and passion for the team is unquestionable and I’m proud to say that during her time here she has proven herself to be one of our most valuable assets,” said the team founder, adding he knows “Williams is in extremely safe hands”.
“I understand the commitment that every person within the team gives each day to see our car out on the track and I am determined to see us back at the top,” said his daughter.
“It has been a sad month for my family and Williams as a company following the death of my mother,” she added, “but as the season takes hold we must look to the future.”
Williams have had a disappointing start to the season on the track as well, with neither Pastor Maldonado nor Valtteri Bottas scoring in the first two races.
In a Twitter Q&A shortly after the news was announced Williams said her target is for the team to beat last year’s championship position of eighth and score regular top ten finishes.
She added the greatest challenge her team and its rivals face at present is generating income:
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 6
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 7
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1