Mar 28, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Felipe Massa is confident of continuing Ferrari’s strong start to the season as he looks to claim his first Formula One victory since the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix.
The Brazilian driver currently sits fifth in the championship, having scored 22 points after two strong finishes in Australia and Malaysia. Despite struggling in Malaysia, Massa finished P5 behind both Red Bull and Mercedes drivers, and he admitted that he didn’t have the pace to win.
“I don’t think we had the car to win, but I think we have a competitive car for fighting for the podium,” he told Autosport.
Massa also spoke about the improvement the team had made, but he was unwilling to get carried away with Ferrari’s pace.
“We need to keep our feet on the ground as well. We did great work on the car from last year to this year, but there’s a lot to do to get the evolution right and make it more competitive.”
However, the 2008 championship runner-up was confident that he could once again challenge for victories if Ferrari continue their upward trend.
“I think if we carry on in this direction, the chance for winning races and fighting for the championship is there.”
In the constructors’ championship, Ferrari are currently third, 26 points behind Red Bull, but the Italian marque will be paying close attention to the tension between Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber which could hinder their title defense. If Massa can continue his good form, Ferrari could be set to challenge for their first constructors’ championship in five years.
- You might be surprised: Which former NASCAR champ holds record for most career last-place finishes? 0
- Lotus to defend Australian GP crown on the back foot 1
- Manager: Schumacher showing “small, encouraging signs” 0
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 2
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 1
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)