Mar 29, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
Want a piece of IndyCar history? It can be yours for $30,000.
Simona de Silvestro’s 2011 race car, which became a cult hero and Internet celebrity on its own thanks to her PR representative creating a Twitter account for the car (now closed), is up for sale on eBay.
The car itself was known as “Pork Chop,” as it was one of the oldest previous generation Dallara chassis, and underwent many repairs after accidents.
The car’s weight meant de Silvestro was at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the field, as she would need to ring more out of a heavier chassis in order to start higher up the grid.
“Pork Chop” – the backup car for HVM Racing – was pressed into action after the team’s newer chassis was destroyed in a practice accident at Indianapolis. De Silvestro suffered burns to her hand in the accident but managed to qualify the older, heavier backup car prior to Bump Day to lock herself into the 2011 Indianapolis 500.
And thus began the legend of “Pork Chop.”
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)