Mar 29, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Romain Grosjean has full confidence that Lotus can challenge for both championships this season relying they have the financial capability to keep up with their rivals.
Talking to Autosport, Grosjean said “It depends on the money that we have. That is the key in Formula 1.
“We know we have good people, we know they are able to do a race winning car, we know that on development and on factory tools we are there. Then then again everything is a question of what you can put into it.”
Revenue has dictated many moves of late in Formula One, causing HRT to withdraw from the sport at the end of last season, as well as the departure of Timo Glock, Heikki Kovalainen and Vitaly Petrov in favor of pay drivers. Although Lotus are less dependent on this income, Grosjean spoke of the cycle that ensues once sponsors are found.
“Hopefully we get more sponsors, so more development and then more wins and then more sponsors. It’s a cycle.”
Lotus have made a good start to the season, and are currently in second place in the constructors’ championship with 40 points and one win courtesy of Kimi Raikkonen in Australia. However, with the upgrades in Malaysia failing to notably improve the E21, the team will be keen on finding a way of enhancing their 2013 chances courtesy of some extra income.
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 1
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 1
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 8
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 0
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)