Mar 29, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Romain Grosjean has full confidence that Lotus can challenge for both championships this season relying they have the financial capability to keep up with their rivals.
Talking to Autosport, Grosjean said “It depends on the money that we have. That is the key in Formula 1.
“We know we have good people, we know they are able to do a race winning car, we know that on development and on factory tools we are there. Then then again everything is a question of what you can put into it.”
Revenue has dictated many moves of late in Formula One, causing HRT to withdraw from the sport at the end of last season, as well as the departure of Timo Glock, Heikki Kovalainen and Vitaly Petrov in favor of pay drivers. Although Lotus are less dependent on this income, Grosjean spoke of the cycle that ensues once sponsors are found.
“Hopefully we get more sponsors, so more development and then more wins and then more sponsors. It’s a cycle.”
Lotus have made a good start to the season, and are currently in second place in the constructors’ championship with 40 points and one win courtesy of Kimi Raikkonen in Australia. However, with the upgrades in Malaysia failing to notably improve the E21, the team will be keen on finding a way of enhancing their 2013 chances courtesy of some extra income.
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 0
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 2
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 7
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)