Mar 29, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Romain Grosjean has full confidence that Lotus can challenge for both championships this season relying they have the financial capability to keep up with their rivals.
Talking to Autosport, Grosjean said “It depends on the money that we have. That is the key in Formula 1.
“We know we have good people, we know they are able to do a race winning car, we know that on development and on factory tools we are there. Then then again everything is a question of what you can put into it.”
Revenue has dictated many moves of late in Formula One, causing HRT to withdraw from the sport at the end of last season, as well as the departure of Timo Glock, Heikki Kovalainen and Vitaly Petrov in favor of pay drivers. Although Lotus are less dependent on this income, Grosjean spoke of the cycle that ensues once sponsors are found.
“Hopefully we get more sponsors, so more development and then more wins and then more sponsors. It’s a cycle.”
Lotus have made a good start to the season, and are currently in second place in the constructors’ championship with 40 points and one win courtesy of Kimi Raikkonen in Australia. However, with the upgrades in Malaysia failing to notably improve the E21, the team will be keen on finding a way of enhancing their 2013 chances courtesy of some extra income.
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)