Mar 29, 2013, 7:47 PM EDT
On Thursday, Joe Gibbs Racing announced that Martin, who currently drives for Michael Waltrip Racing, would step into Hamlin’s No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota while Hamlin recovered from a fractured vertebrae. But just one day later comes word that the deal has fallen apart, and Martin will continue his duties with MWR.
Martin will replace Hamlin in the No. 11 only on Apr. 7 at Martinsville Speedway — a track he wasn’t slated to drive at for MWR. Brian Vickers, one of JGR’s drivers in the Nationwide Series, will drive MWR’s No. 55 machine at the half-mile oval in Virginia.
“I think it is great that a driver of Mark’s caliber is available to support our fellow Toyota team during this difficult time for them,” Waltrip said in a statement. “We wish Denny a speedy recovery. Mark is a big part of our organization and is committed to our sponsors, especially Aaron’s and Toyota.
“We have a lot of goals yet to reach this year and we are very focused on accomplishing them.”
According to the Associated Press’ Jenna Fryer, it is believed that a deal had been completed between the two Toyota squads to swap Martin for Vickers in the Cup races, but that JGR announced it before Aaron’s, the main backer of the No. 55, had given approval.
Fryer reports that no reason has yet been given for Aaron’s disapproval.
Hamlin is expected to miss at least five races while he heals up. Meanwhile, JGR now has to find another replacement in his No. 11 post-Martinsville.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4