Mar 29, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
Marussia have admitted that switching to either Mercedes or Ferrari engines for 2014 is the “obvious” move, and that they hope to confirm a deal in the near future.
Currently, Marussia are powered by Cosworth, who are withdrawing from Formula One at the end of the season, meaning that the team will require a new engine supplier. As the Anglo-Russian outfit continues to make big strides forward, a more competitive and renowned engine supplier appears to be the next step.
“It’s obvious that with the departure of Cosworth then we can choose between Ferrari and Mercedes. We’ll talk with both,” confirmed Marussia chief executive Andy Webb.
Webb did recognize that the change would see a rise in costs, with Cosworth traditionally being the ‘cost effective’ choice of engine supplier.
“It is clear that the price will be an important factor, because the cost will be significantly higher than the current engines.”
However, negotiations already appear to be in progress, with Webb happily giving a time scale to Russian publication Championat.
“We need to make sure we choose the right partner. I hope to be able to announce our decision in the next four weeks.”
Ferrari are thought to be leading the race to supply Marussia as they seek a new customer for 2014, having missed out on a deal with Force India who extended their contract with Mercedes. It is rumored that part of the deal for Ferrari Driver Academy member Jules Bianchi to race for Marussia in 2013 included a clause for Ferrari engines, but the team may opt to work with Mercedes if the German manufacturer can offer a better deal.
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory 5
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 2
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 45
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 1
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0