Mar 29, 2013, 10:36 PM EDT
Kyle O’Gara, the brother-in-law of current IZOD IndyCar Series team owner and former driver Sarah Fisher, will compete in the Firestone Indy Lights’ Freedom 100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this May.
O’Gara, 18, is expected to compete in most of the Lights’ oval races this season in preparation for a full-time jump in 2014 according to Autoweek. His ride for IMS will be a collaboration between Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing and Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, which has won six Lights championships and seven of the ten Freedom 100s run since the race’s inception in 2003.
“I’m very happy to be a part of this partnership,” O’Gara said this week. “When they put an opportunity like that in front of you, you can’t turn that down. That’s something that I always wanted to do, and I’m looking forward to it.”
He will even have his own cheering section for the Freedom 100. One of his sponsors for the race, SportEvents.com, is providing tickets for each student and faculty member at Indianapolis’ Roncalli High School — where he’ll graduate from the next day after his IMS debut on May 24.
Indeed, it’ll be a busy time for O’Gara, who currently runs in the USAC midget circuit. He passed his Firestone Indy Lights rookie orientation test last fall at Kentucky Speedway.
Video from NASCAR America
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 1
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 0
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 0
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 0
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 1
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0