Mar 29, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Kyle O’Gara, the brother-in-law of current IZOD IndyCar Series team owner and former driver Sarah Fisher, will compete in the Firestone Indy Lights’ Freedom 100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this May.
O’Gara, 18, is expected to compete in most of the Lights’ oval races this season in preparation for a full-time jump in 2014 according to Autoweek. His ride for IMS will be a collaboration between Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing and Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, which has won six Lights championships and seven of the ten Freedom 100s run since the race’s inception in 2003.
“I’m very happy to be a part of this partnership,” O’Gara said this week. “When they put an opportunity like that in front of you, you can’t turn that down. That’s something that I always wanted to do, and I’m looking forward to it.”
He will even have his own cheering section for the Freedom 100. One of his sponsors for the race, SportEvents.com, is providing tickets for each student and faculty member at Indianapolis’ Roncalli High School — where he’ll graduate from the next day after his IMS debut on May 24.
Indeed, it’ll be a busy time for O’Gara, who currently runs in the USAC midget circuit. He passed his Firestone Indy Lights rookie orientation test last fall at Kentucky Speedway.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1