Mar 29, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Kyle O’Gara, the brother-in-law of current IZOD IndyCar Series team owner and former driver Sarah Fisher, will compete in the Firestone Indy Lights’ Freedom 100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this May.
O’Gara, 18, is expected to compete in most of the Lights’ oval races this season in preparation for a full-time jump in 2014 according to Autoweek. His ride for IMS will be a collaboration between Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing and Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, which has won six Lights championships and seven of the ten Freedom 100s run since the race’s inception in 2003.
“I’m very happy to be a part of this partnership,” O’Gara said this week. “When they put an opportunity like that in front of you, you can’t turn that down. That’s something that I always wanted to do, and I’m looking forward to it.”
He will even have his own cheering section for the Freedom 100. One of his sponsors for the race, SportEvents.com, is providing tickets for each student and faculty member at Indianapolis’ Roncalli High School — where he’ll graduate from the next day after his IMS debut on May 24.
Indeed, it’ll be a busy time for O’Gara, who currently runs in the USAC midget circuit. He passed his Firestone Indy Lights rookie orientation test last fall at Kentucky Speedway.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 0
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 30
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0