Mar 29, 2013, 8:22 PM EDT
Mark Martin will drive Hamlin’s car at the next Sprint Cup race at Martinsville Speedway on Apr. 7. Martin had been announced Thursday as the replacement driver for Hamlin, but today, Michael Waltrip Racing announced that Martin would only replace Hamlin for Martinsville and then return to his duties as driver of its No. 55 Toyota at Texas.
Vickers will drive MWR’s No. 55 at Martinsville in Martin’s absence.
“Obviously, having to find someone to fill in for Denny is not an ideal situation to have to be in and when you start a process like this, you obviously begin to look at the drivers that are not only available but also able to drive for your race team and manufacturer,” JGR president J.D. Gibbs said in a team statement.
“We were a bit premature in determining Mark’s status past Martinsville, however. We’re real happy to have the opportunity to get Brian in our Cup cars and with him driving Nationwide for us, we think we have some continuity there that is beneficial.”
Vickers currently drives one of JGR’s cars in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and has posted two Top-10 finishes there this season. He has collected 264 Sprint Cup starts in his career, with two victories to his credit; he finished eighth for MWR earlier this month in the Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway.
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1