Mar 29, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Mark Martin will drive Hamlin’s car at the next Sprint Cup race at Martinsville Speedway on Apr. 7. Martin had been announced Thursday as the replacement driver for Hamlin, but today, Michael Waltrip Racing announced that Martin would only replace Hamlin for Martinsville and then return to his duties as driver of its No. 55 Toyota at Texas.
Vickers will drive MWR’s No. 55 at Martinsville in Martin’s absence.
“Obviously, having to find someone to fill in for Denny is not an ideal situation to have to be in and when you start a process like this, you obviously begin to look at the drivers that are not only available but also able to drive for your race team and manufacturer,” JGR president J.D. Gibbs said in a team statement.
“We were a bit premature in determining Mark’s status past Martinsville, however. We’re real happy to have the opportunity to get Brian in our Cup cars and with him driving Nationwide for us, we think we have some continuity there that is beneficial.”
Vickers currently drives one of JGR’s cars in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and has posted two Top-10 finishes there this season. He has collected 264 Sprint Cup starts in his career, with two victories to his credit; he finished eighth for MWR earlier this month in the Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway.
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR Hall of Fame special and induction ceremony at 7 p.m. ET 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 0
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 4
- Sauber aims to beat the blues of 2014 with C34’s launch 1
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0