Mar 29, 2013, 8:22 PM EDT
Mark Martin will drive Hamlin’s car at the next Sprint Cup race at Martinsville Speedway on Apr. 7. Martin had been announced Thursday as the replacement driver for Hamlin, but today, Michael Waltrip Racing announced that Martin would only replace Hamlin for Martinsville and then return to his duties as driver of its No. 55 Toyota at Texas.
Vickers will drive MWR’s No. 55 at Martinsville in Martin’s absence.
“Obviously, having to find someone to fill in for Denny is not an ideal situation to have to be in and when you start a process like this, you obviously begin to look at the drivers that are not only available but also able to drive for your race team and manufacturer,” JGR president J.D. Gibbs said in a team statement.
“We were a bit premature in determining Mark’s status past Martinsville, however. We’re real happy to have the opportunity to get Brian in our Cup cars and with him driving Nationwide for us, we think we have some continuity there that is beneficial.”
Vickers currently drives one of JGR’s cars in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and has posted two Top-10 finishes there this season. He has collected 264 Sprint Cup starts in his career, with two victories to his credit; he finished eighth for MWR earlier this month in the Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway.
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 0
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 10
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1