Mar 30, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Bernie Ecclestone has cast doubt on Interlagos hosting the Brazilian Grand Prix beyond 2015.
The historic track in Sao Paulo has become a favorite among drivers and fans alike, with the high speed straights creating some thrilling racing. Interlagos has slotted in towards the end of the F1 calendar since 2004, with the championship being decided in Brazil on six occasions since then. However, Ecclestone could be set to terminate the track’s contract in favor of a race in Rio.
“I’ve been unhappy with Sao Paulo for some time, because the facilities need a big facelift,” Ecclestone told the Mail on Sunday.
“We could be in Rio for the Olympic year.”
Rio is set to host the Olympic Games in 2016, and the city will also play a large part in the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, making the rate of development in the area rapid. Ecclestone is keen on taking advantage of this, and he has already negotiated the idea with the mayor of the city.
“The mayor has told me they can get it done.”
F1 supremo Ecclestone has frequently toyed with the idea of locating a Grand Prix around an Olympic park, with the Russian Grand Prix (planned for 2014) set to take place around the site of the Winter Olympics in Sochi. Ecclestone also lobbied for the rights to the Olympic stadium in London in order to stage a race around the Stratford area.
However, moving away from Interlagos is unlikely to be a popular move, but it could be the impetus for the track owners to upgrade the facilities to meet Ecclestone’s standards.
- DiZinno: Barber, IndyCar’s southern gem, delivers an instant classic 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 1
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 15
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1