Mar 30, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Former IZOD IndyCar Series full-timer Mike Conway has officially made the switch to sports car racing with his move to the FIA World Endurance Championship.
Conway will still contest the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing and may be up for more road/street course appearances in IndyCar later on in the campaign. But the bulk of his year will be run as part of G-Drive Racing with Delta-ADR in the WEC. He recently took part in WEC pre-season testing at France’s Paul Ricard circuit and will co-drive the team’s No. 26 Oreca 03 Nissan alongside John Martin and Roman Rusinov.
“Obviously the end of last year, I didn’t want to race ovals anymore so I knew I had to look elsewhere other than IndyCar,” he said to SPEED.com’s John Dagys, referring to his decision to no longer race on ovals after stepping out of A.J. Foyt Racing’s No. 14 Honda (pictured) before last year’s IndyCar season finale.
“I just kind of got talking and was looking around to see what was there. And sports cars looked like a good future for me. Le Mans is something I’ve always wanted to do.”
As for acclimating to an LMP2 class machine, Conway told Dagys that there are definite similiarities and differences from his former open-wheel ride.
“The downforce numbers are good so it handles similar to a single-seater,” he said. “But it’s a bit different too as you have to be a bit easier with the car, you can’t be as aggressive and expect it to turn as fast as you want.”
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 1
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 7